Find out more on the Spanish soccer league – la liga – and its most classic soccer rivalry - Real Madrid vs Barcelona in the Camp Nou and Santiago Bernabeu.
Real Madrid and FC Barcelona, as many already know, are at the top of the Spanish soccer league. They also represent the most extreme sports rivalry in all of Spain. When Real Madrid and FC Barcelona confront each other either in the Spanish League or in international competitions, the results are some of the most heated soccer matches on the planet. In fact, the Real Madrid-Barcelona matches are known locally simply as "clásicos" meaning "classics".
Some of the world's most renowned soccer players have passed through the ranks of Real Madrid or FC Barcelona. Names like Diego Armando Maradona, Ronaldo, Di Stéfano, Johan Cruyff, Cristiano Ronaldo, David Beckham, Raúl González, Leo Messi, and many others have contributed to the success of these teams. Soccer players dream of dressing one day in the team colors of Real Madrid or FC Barcelona, a moment that undoubtedly marks a launch in their professional careers, as in the recent case of the Brazilian player Santos Neymar.
Rivalry Statistics: *as of November 2011
- Towards the end of 2000, FIFA proclaimed Real Madrid the best soccer club of the 20th Century. The result was determined based on a vote by the readers of FIFA World Magazine.
- The International Federation of Football History & Statistics (IFFHS) selected FC Barcelona in 2011 when it named the team as the best soccer club in the world during the first decade of the 21st Century.
- Both teams are the unarguable champions of Spanish competitions. FC Barcelona currently (as of November 2011) holds 61 national trophies while Real Madrid has 59 in its possession. The next Spanish team with the most national titles is Athletic Club, with 33 trophies, a far cry from those held by Real Madrid and Barcelona FC.
- In the UEFA competition rankings, Real Madrid and FC Barcelona rank second and third place respectively: Real Madrid with 15 European titles and Barcelona with 12. The first place in the UEFA rankings belongs to AC Milan with 17 titles.
- The first match between the two teams was in 1902 during the Copa de la Coronación. Barcelona was victorious over Real Madrid, 3 to 1.
- 1910 was and exciting year for Real Madrid and FC Barcelona fans; the two teams faced each other four times. Of the four encounters, there were two away games and two home games. The first match would see a victorious Barcelona FC, winning 2-1. The second encounter went to Real Madrid 4-1. To break the tie (based on a points), a third match was held which resulted in a 6-6 tie. A fourth tie-breaking match was played in which Real Madrid emerged victorious, 4-2.
- Historically, in the matches Real Madrid vs. FC Barcelona in the Spanish League of Professional Football, Real Madrid has won a total of 68 times with 263 goals. Barcelona FC has won 63 of their matches with a total of 252 goals. These two top ranking Spanish teams have tied 31 times.
With all these historical statistics, seeing a Real Madrid vs. FC Barcelona match is just another incentive to visit Spain. Especially if you can experience the rivalry first hand in either the Santiago Bernabeu or Camp Nou stadiums. If you are among the many who cannot see a Classic match in person, you can always enjoy the unique Spanish atmosphere and hot Real Madrid – FC Barcelona rivalry in a Spanish tapas bar with friends over a drink.