How the Programme Works
What is the Fundación don Quijote 30 Scholarships Program?
An ambitious project to diffuse the Spanish language worldwide, created by don Quijote, Spain's leading organisation dedicated to the teaching of Spanish as a foreign language in Spain and Mexico.
30 Scholarships will be awarded (one per institution) to the 30 academic institutions presenting the most creative and best-developed plans to actively promote the learning of Spanish as a foreign language.
What types of institutions are eligible?
The scholarships are available to the following institutions:
- High Schools and Community Colleges
Winning institutions may design their own program to select scholarship recipients, although we do require that the scholarships be used by students, and that all recipients be above the age of 15.
What is needed to apply?
A representative of the institution must complete a brief Scholarship Questionnaire, in which s/he will describe the institution's current efforts to promote Spanish study, and the institution's proposal to launch new programs to further promote the Spanish language.
Suggestions and Resources:
Winning plans will be creative, realistic and specific. Based on previous year’s top presentations, we offer the following suggestions and resources:
- Publicize Spanish in the institution and local community:
- Publish statistics highlighting Spain's growing importance as an international language. See our Spanish in Figures Web page, for example.
- Publish testimonials of former students of Spanish, speaking about their own reasons for studying the language and the influence that their knowledge of Spanish has had on their professional and personal success.
- Publish commentaries by Human Resource Professionals emphasizing the demand for Spanish speakers in international companies.
- Additional great ideas:
- Offer Spanish as an optional course to all students.
- Launch study abroad programs in Spanish speaking countries.
- Link your institution‘s Web to Spanish Web resources and Spanish language schools. Find more great ideas here.