Pablo Picasso from its own permanent collection and others from temporary cessions. The Museum is set on the first floor of the building, between the very walls in which the painter was born and spent the first years of his life. You can visit three rooms dedicated to different means of artistic expression explored by Picasso: ceramics, engravings and illustrated books.
The Picasso Foundation owns nine original pieces of ceramic made by the painter, all of them representative of Picasso's great knowledge of the techniques and creativity.
It was back in August 1946, when Picasso, residing in Golfe Juan with Françoise Gillot visited Vallauris, a little village with a great tradition in ceramics and the work of clay since the roman ages. Invited by a married couple called Ramié, the painter made there his first steps into the world of ceramics. But it was not before the following year when Picasso decided to improve his knowledge of ceramics and add this art to his numerous talents. This new passion lasted for more than twenty-five years.
ILLUSTRATED BOOKS COLLECTION ROOM
In October 1992 Christine Picasso, daughter-in-law of the painter donated the Foundation a collection of ten books illustrated by Picasso.
Those books, that belong to the private collection of the artist include an artistic testimony of great value, most of them signed by their authors. They were made between 1947 and 1960, and for that reason, show a great variety of styles. They are a perfect view of Picasso's versatility and the way he never turned his back on any kind of artistic expression. The ten books are exhibited periodically, so that the public can enjoy them all.
GRAPHIC WORK OF PICASSO ROOM
The first sep of this collection was the donation of Picasso, "Dream and Lie of Franco", but the Picasso Foundation carried on with the acquisition of several valuable works of the painter in order to offer, in his natal home, a generic vision of the different styles, techniques, iconographies, and subjects that the artist employed all along his carrier. The Foundation owes 7 engravings and 3 temporary deposits.
To complete the artistic vision of all the these works of art, they are shown with a selection of photographs by Juan Gyenes, acquired in 1996, where appear various biographic moments of the artist.