Playa del Carmen Travel Tips
Traveling to Playa del Carmen
10 helpful tips for traveling to Playa del Carmen in Mexico:
- The rainy season in Playa del Carmen is from May to November, with possible hurricanes in the months of August and September. When traveling to Playa del Carmen, it is best to avoid the rainy season.
- The official language in Playa del Carmen is Spanish, but Mayan languages are spoken all over the area. It is a good idea to at least learn a little Spanish when going to Playa del Carmen, although foreign languages such as English and French are also spoken widely throughout the city.
- Most shops and ATMs in Playa del Carmen are located in Quinta Avenida. Stores and other businesses are typically open from 10 in the morning to 10 at night. Information centers for tourists are also available in Quinta Avenida.
- All products and services in Playa del Carmen have a value-added tax of 10%. However, most tourists also leave additional tips for service, approximately 10%.
- Numerous activities and itineraries are offered in Playa del Carmen. You can plan these itineraries ahead of time by booking early. This is recommended for big groups, especially when traveling during the peak or the vacation season. On the other hand, if you are just an individual or belong to a small group, you can opt to arrange your tours once you get there. This can help you arrange your schedule day by day and pick the cheapest tours available.
- Most activities in Playa del Carmen involve the water, so wear appropriate beach clothing. If you plan to go scuba diving or snorkeling, you can opt to bring your own gear or rent from diving centers in the area.l
- There is a mixture of people and cultures in Playa del Carmen. The city is still composed of many indigenous people of Mayan origins which have been influenced greatly over the years by other foreign cultures. However, there are also numerous other races in the area.
- Don't leave your valuables in public places. Although Playa del Carmen is generally safe, it is best to keep your important belongings in a safe place to avoid losing them.
- Some experts recommend you get travel insurance when traveling to anywhere in the world.
- Playa del Carmen is the perfect place for relaxation. Don't forget to have fun!